[Zope-dev] Zope on Apache (Zapache? Zopache?)

James@tacomait.com James@tacomait.com
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 13:34:38 -0700

I would like to see something like Apache and Zope together, because
I use them on NT.
  Are you talking about making Apache run Zope out of the box?

-James

Michel Pelletier proposes an interesting idea, of integrating Zope with
Apache 2.0. That sounds like a really great idea with many upsides --
especially because you could write all kinds of interesting Apache
extensions in Python. Has anyone written that idea up, or discussed it on
other mailing lists? As a first step, how about using SWIG to expose the
Apache 2.0 api to mod_python. -Don From: {HYPERLINK "mailto:michel@zope.com"}michel@zope.com (Michel
Pelletier) Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:09:45 -0400 Subject: [Zope-
dev] A modest proposal: Replace medusa with Twisted Just to throw
out another idea, Amos has discussed with me in the past the idea of
replacing medusa with Apache 2.0. Compelling as many of Twisted's
features may be, Apache 2.0 as far as i can tell supports many of them
as well (except perhaps jython integration, which is a pipe dream
anyway for Zope). Apache has the upshot in that it is rock solid, tested
by millions, trusted by even more, and no doubt one of the most actively
developed peices of software there is. For ZC the upshots of 1) not
needing to maintain it, and 2) it being a excellent marketing tool
outweight many technical benifits that twisted may have that Apache
doesn't (I'd like to know what the differences are, however). For
example, does twisted do URL rewriting? proxy? process/thread job
control? Twisted does have the advantage of 1, but not 2. Further, our
faith in the continuing development of Apache is, de facto, more than
that of twisted simply based on the age, number of users, and number of
developers of each project. I'm not dismissing the idea, I'm just pointing
out an alternative to Itamar's alternative. ;) -Michel