[Zope-dev] Zope & Cygwin

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:22:27 -0400

Hope it's OK to continue crossposting this thread.

> also of note
> http://apache.dev.wapme.net

Grabbed the bindist earlier today. ;-)  I wanted to torture test the Zope
session manager under the cygwin-built Zope using ab, which is good
real-world threading test.  It appears that neither ab nor wget much like
something about their communication with the cygwin-built Zope.  Here's a
wget session with a cygwin-built python/Zope combo:

--22:14:42--  http://localhost/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to localhost:80... connected!
2 Server: Zope/(unreleased version, python 2.1.1, cygwin) ZServer/1.1b1
3 Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:14:42 GMT
4 Connection: close
5 Content-Type: text/html
7

    0K -> .. (freeze)

Here's a session with a VC++-built Zope:

$ wget -S http://localhost:8080/
--22:17:20--  http://localhost:8080/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to localhost:8080... connected!
2 Server: Zope/(unreleased version, python 2.1.0, win32) ZServer/1.1b1
3 Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 02:17:20 GMT
4 Connection: close
5 Content-Type: text/html
7

    0K ->                                                        [100%]

22:17:20 (9.47 KB/s) - `index.html' saved [194/194]

It's almost as if the wrong content-length is provided by the Cygwin-built
Zope and both wget and ab are waiting for data.  Browsers OTOH don't seem to
care; they happily render the page as its given to them by the Cygwin-built
Zope.  I'll investigate this further when possible.

> FYI
> I have managed to patch the python 2.1.1 sources to build
> the winreg module with Cygwin.  It is a fairly  pervasive patch in
> that it python then has to know both the 'posix' and the 'Win32'
> way of handling unicode, error systems, ect.
>
> Because of the breadth of this  I have held off submitting the patch
> to the Python SourceForge collector but I am wondering if this would
> be useful for Zope development ?

I don't think it's a pressing need for us, although I'll need to defer to
Brian Lloyd, who is still the Zope release-master despite years of desperate
kicking and screaming.

The only thing in Zope for Windows that uses the registry is the installer
and the service manager and we don't use the winreg module in the current
install or service process, AFAIK.  It is handy, however, to know it can be
used under Cygwin with your patches.

Thanks so much again,

- C