[Zope-dev] Versions (still)

Tim McLaughlin tim@iterationzero.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:13:40 -0400

Andy McKay wrote:

> So there I was in this discussion about Zope versioning (again) and there
> were two features requested that seemed perfectly reasonable at the time,
>
> - to have a list of all the objects changed by a version
> - to be able to individually commit or discard changes in a version on a per
> object basis
>
> This is would be extremely useful for those times when you forget to check
> out of a version and accidentally lock the root folder (This happens quite a
> bit). Simple I thought, but ugh versions go all the way down to FileStorage
> and got into ZODB stuff I didnt understand. I would have thought having a
> little refactoring to give two more methods: getVersionContents and
> commitObject would be possible, but Im scratching my head at FileStorage
> now.
>
> Before I embark down this path is there an easier way?
>
> Cheers.
> --
>   Andy McKay.

This is something I've been thinking about (and inspecting code with
regard to) for a long time.  And regrettably, the only idea I have come
up with is copying attributes from one version into another, or
disgusting things like that.  I haven't implemented anything because it
sounds too icky, and I keep thinking there's gotta be a better way :)

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim McLaughlin