[Zope-dev] Re: Install doesn't start properly

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:54:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Martijn Pieters wrote:
> > First, actually, untarring as root sets the ownership of a lot of the
> > stuff in my solaris bindist to 506:100 (brian:users, it says in the
> > listing.)
>
> Default behaviour when using tar as root; it'll preserve the UID and GID of
> the person that created the tar.

Just FYI, this works "right" (IMO) under FreeBSD: files untarred as root are
owned by root unless you use the p flag.  Of course, this note only applies if
you are just handling this item via doc changes; if you have install do the
chown, it's moot.

--RDM