[Zope-dev] WebDav Bug? -- id != name?

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:25:30 -0400

On Thursday 20 September 2001 11:03 am, Kevin Dangoor allegedly wrote:
[snip]

> Less magic is good.
>
> Longer term, it seems like this can be addressed by the Component
> architecture, can't it? Ideally the WebDAV Presentation Component would be
> given some clues about how to represent the object in WebDAV. Or maybe
> there will be a selection of WebDAV components that provide a variety of
> ways to deal with it.
>
> > <soapbox>
> >
> > IMHO, I'd rather see the things that make using file extensions
> > a pain in the first place go away. The "death to index_html" part
> > of my proposal is a first step toward that. If web-oriented
> > tools expect to be able to use file extensions, then Zope needs
> > to do what people expect.
>
> ...while still balancing the desire to easily access objects and methods
> via Python. Tricky.
>
> Kevin

Possibly just giving the user the ability to specify a name for an object
separate from it's id so that an extension could be used could be a
short-term solution.

Or even just a property "DAV_extension" that lets you specify the file
extension when using webDAV. When files are uploaded via WebDAV, the ext is
stripped from the id and stored in this property. It is reappended by Zope
when accessing the object through WebDAV.

At least that way it is magic is under your direct control.

-Casey