[Zope-dev] Structure-text : <html>

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> AFAIK this is the right behavior and not a bug. you ask for the
> StructureText document to be rendered and you inform the rendering
> machinery that the document is in structured text. the rendering process
> will output HTML.
>
> i think what you want is to simply say <dtml-var StructureTextDoc> without
> the "fmt" flag. that should get you the raw structured text. the rendering
> process then assumes the document is already in some kind of HTML format
> and does not try to generate HTML tags.
>
> On Thursday, September 20, 2001, at 07:14 , Sin Hang Kin wrote:
> > When I use <dtml-var StructureTextDoc fmt=structured-text>
> >
> > I got <html> </html> in the result. Are there any reason that it should be
> > there? I wounder how can structured text generate valid html or be used in
> > wap applications.

I think you misread what Sin Hang Kin was getting at.  Consider:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-var StructuredTextDoc fmt=structured-text>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

Yes, you want StructuredTextDoc to be output using html formatting.
But what you *don't* want is to have <html></html> (or header or
body) tags; those are all handled by standard_html_header/footer.

Unless nesting html documents inside html documents is allowed by
the html standards?  And supported "correctly" (for some useful
definition of "correctly") by almost all browsers?

--RDM