[Zope-dev] Vulnerability: attacking can get file list and directory

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:40:36 -0400

On Sunday 23 September 2001 08:24 pm, Joachim Werner allegedly wrote:
> > Vulnerability: attacking can get file list and directory
> > Tested on Win32 platform
> >
> > Example:
> > telnet zopeserver 8080
> > PROPFIND / HTTP/1.0
> > <enter>
> > <enter>
> > <enter>
> >
> > < list files and directory >
> >
> > This tested on my site:
> > security.instock.ru 8080
>
> This one really seems to be the old "WebDAV is not safe" one. I guess it
> has been tackled already. You should be able to switch the file listing off
> for the Anonymous User in Zope 2.4.1 ...
>
> Joachim

I totally agree. Tracebacks should not be visible to anonymous users!
Although I would hesitate to call this a vulnerability, it ranks up there
with the old ability to call objectIds by URL as anonymous.

The less information that anonymous users can glean about the server, the
better.

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org