[Zope-dev] Zope on Windows: enhancements proposed

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:02:17 +1000

We've got a wonderful zope control panel (which installs into the standard
windows Control Panel) and zope service which we'll be making available in
binary and source form this week. Like the Mac OS X controller, this is
simply a trivial re-branding extension of our work in supporting the
usability of our Bizar Shop product.

The windows controller works on win95/win98/NT/win2k. It controls a "real"
windows service on platforms were services are run (NT/win2k), and otherwise
controls a "service daemon" which stays in the system tray. We'll call this
service "Zope", and its job is to lauch "python [script] [args]" with some
Zope-specific environment fiddling (INSTANCE_HOME env, cd ${SOFTWARE_HOME},
STUPID_LOG_FILE env).

The current method of starting Zope as a windows service using
PythonService.exe is kludgy, mostly because of the unnecessary layer of
python. The Zope binary distribution's use of PythonService.exe does the same
thing that our Zope service does (in the end), which is to lauch "python
z2.py [args]".

We'd like to propose that the service distributed with Zope move over to
using our code.

Our control panel will be able to control "Zope (WebSite)", but we probably
won't offer the ability to configure it (editing the z2[s].py file in-place
is possible - we do that now - but it's rather hackish).

So, best scenario is that Zope ships with the controller and our service.
Worst scenario is that the controller is downloaded separately and can only
stop/start PythonService. In the second case, we'd still ship our service and
install it - meaning that there'd be two Zope services in the service
manager, but at least the controller, which appears in the control panel,
would still be able to fully control Zope.

As a separate issue - we're curious about the naming of the Zope installation
- why is it called WebSite (and the Zope service "Zope (WebSite)")? The name
clashes with another product that's fairly well-known in the windows
community originally from O'Reilly: http://www.oreilly.com/software/index.html
... and since Zope is a fairly distinctive name ...

    Richard

ps. happy to put this up as a project if required.