[Zope-dev] RE: Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 2: source control

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:24:38 -0400

I'd like to add some misinformation...errmm, comments. :^)  On the
version control side, you're quite right, we're still behind on it.
There _are_ some ways to get there, if you try hard enough.  But that's
unacceptible.

There are two things long term that need to be done: filesystem
synchronization and version control.  The former is a project to make it
possible to represent and perhaps round-trip Zope data in a way friendly
filesystem tools and patterns.  This obviously includes SCM systems like
ClearCase.

We've had, at our Friday jam sessions, a couple of proposals on this.
So far it's simply provoked rigorous discussion but not a lot of
consensus, as balancing the competing goals is harder than it sounds.

I was talking with Jim yesterday over lunch about this, and whether the
new component model would put filesystem synchronization in its scope.
The short answer is, not in the first cut.  It will certainly make
filesystem synchronization a lot easier, but we need to get it out the
door and tackle filesystem syncing later.

Regarding version control...this is something that has been burned into
our skulls in recent RFPs that we've responded to.  It's the number one
thing we at ZC need to address to be more competitive in CMS bids.

So far the goals and use cases of DeltaV seem to best describe what
we're currently thinking:

http://www.webdav.org/deltav/
http://www.webdav.org/deltav/goals/draft-ietf-webdav-version-goals-01.txt
http://www.webdav.org/deltav/scenarios/scenarios-00-1.htm

Note that this is for Zope itself to have a model for version control.
Filesystem sync is the most obvious way to interface to a separate SCM
system.  However, _if_ Zope adopted a repository model, it's conceivable
that Zope could have an implementation of the repository that used an
external system.  _Please_ understand that this is all hand-waving right
now.  But I'm on the hook to incept versioning, so it's informed
hand-waving. :^)

--Paul