[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Fri, 05 Apr 2002 07:41:30 -0500

I think this conversation is trending in the wrong direction.

Zope 3 needs to make it possible to build YABB, interfaces which support
all browsers while still looking slick, etc.

However, it is important to note: Zope 3 is *not* a product.  It is used
to build products.  The core ZMI is needed to the extent that it helps
build or administer products.  Thus, Zope 3 is not like YABB.

Of course, Zope 3 can ship with one or more sexy sample applications,
like YABB.  But if we blur the line for Zope 3's ZMI, we'll be right
back into the core problem of Zope 2's ZMI: audience confusion.

One of the first questions to ask when building an interface is "What is
the audience?"  Giving a very focused, tough response can greatly boost
effectiveness.

With all this in mind, I think we can require developers to use
standards-compliant browsers, and allow/facilitate them to build
backwards-compatible interfaces.

--Paul