[Zope-dev] Re: ZClasses useful! [Was: ZMI / JavaScript brainstorm]

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:10:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Martijn Jacobs wrote:
> > I will not stop dissing them until people stop using them and then
> complaining
> > when they break, don't do what they want or behave unexpectedly.
>
> What's your efford on this task? If people like to use them, let them!
> It's not up to you to decide for THEM what's best or not. The choice for
> YOURSELF not to use them is just as fair as other peoples choices.

Actually, we find on #zope-dev that if we steer newbies away from
zclasses and toward Products to begin with, they thank us later,
and it reduces our support burden.  The same can be said for this
list.  Chris does tend to be a little vociferous about it <grin>.

We aren't generally dealing with content devloper types in either place.

Learning ZClasses (because that's what was documented in the manual
at the time) rather than going straight to python products was
the *worst* mistake I made in starting to use Zope, myself.  It
probably set me back six to nine months.

--RDM