[Zope-dev] how bad are per-request-write-transactions

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:04:03 -0600

This will kill performance, especially concurrent use of the site. It
will also cause large amounts of database bloat. Do you need real time
numbers, or is a delay (such as 24 hours) acceptable?

If you can stand a delay, another approach would be to write a script
which scans the z2.log file (or another log that you generate on page
hits) each night and in a single transaction updates a counter on each
object hit.

If you use the z2.log, no additional writing is needed to the FS, and
you get the benefit of easy access to the counts directly from the
objects, without degrading performance or db bloat.

-Casey