[Zope-dev] PHP vs Zope cost benefit

Jason Spisak jspisak@lycoris.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:56:35 -0700

Thanks Lennart,

There is OO php now, which they seem to enjoy. <ugh> The
audited security is something I believe is big win.  The
quickness and efficiency of Zope Corp's (still calling them DC
in my head) Zope security patching is outstanding.  The
community really shines there.

With undoable transactions, are transactions that have taken
place in the Postgres Database really undo-able by undoing the
Zope transaction that made them?

For users, they'll be stored in Postgres, so is LoginManager
(which uses the venerably weighty ZPatterns) the best way to
go, or is exUserFolder sufficient for scaling to largers
numbers of users?  I'll ask the Jester about that directly is
no on has a quick answer.  The front end user/roles permissions
thing is a bit hard to manage sometimes, honestly.  But it's
there at least, and not in PHP unless you spend time building
it.

Would you not get transparent scalability by adding Apache
servers to the front end that just have the same PHP scripts?
As far as scaling backend Postgres Database, that's the same if
you use PHP or Zope.

--
Jason Spisak
Marketing Director, Lycoris