[Zope-dev] Application Server [was: Re: PHP vs Zope cost benefit]

Myroslav Opyr myroslav@zope.net.ua
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:34:43 +0300

Jason Spisak wrote:

>[snip]
>
>To recap what turned the tides were these wins:
>
>1.  Zope's security model is far more scalable and flexible=20
>than anything home brewed in PHP.
>
>2.  The scurity model is also audited by any, many people and=20
>tested and in production all over the place. ;-)
> =20

Security machinery present in Zope,  to develop in PHP.

>3.  The ease of management for non-technical users to create=20
>and edit content was a big win since that interface is already=20
>created and ready to use in many cases.

Interface present in Zope, to develop in PHP.

>4. The built in separation of db connectivity/transparancy is=20
>much better than taking the time to design that properly from=20
>scratch, or using connectivity tools that then needed to be=20
>'connected' to the app in a safe and transparant way.
> =20

DBaccess layer is present in Zope, to design in PHP.

>5.  The transactional nature of Zope (although they didn't=20
>believe me when it came to rolling back multiple dbs) impressed=20
>them and if it really can mange a rollback from from a DB and=20
>transaction safety for inventory,etc...(which I know it can)=20
>then its a huge win.
> =20

Transactions support is in Zope, to develop in PHP.

Thus I wanted to point out that PHP is not really what you can compare=20
to Zope. PHP is comparable to Python. They are just languages.

PHP community has excellent PHPnuke and PostNuke products which has=20
unprecedented success. The is alsow Midgard, PHP CMS. Zope is=20
Application Sever disposing a number of services to applications written=20
with it. We should find competitor in PHP world to compare to. I do not=20
know one. Speaking of Application Servers I can name ACS (TCL/Java) and=20
Enhydra (Java). They are competitors of Zope, not PHP.

Regards,

Myroslav
--=20
Myroslav Opyr