[Zope-dev] The DevXML Project

chrisw_88 chrisw_88@hotmail.com
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:47:41 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0302_01C24390.C75CE220

XML is just a file format used to store information.  DevXML is a way of
sharing information about an interface and
eventually a class definition amongst many languages and platforms.  Its
just data.  I wrote one utility in vb to parse the DevXML
and generate the interface in vb, but you can use the parsers that =
already
exist on different platforms to parse the file and generate
the source in whatever language you work with.

This comes in handy if you have development teams working on the same
product but for different platforms,
eg c++ or vb on nt and java on linux.  You wish for the interfaces to be =
the
same and eventually you would wish to share
the same basic logic, the only difference is the parts that are specific =
c++ or java.

This helps resolve problems of inconsistant functionality between the
product on one platform vs the other.

It also helps resolve the problem of the c++ and java versions having
drastically different behavior.  That is a developer who is working on =
the
c++ side can more easily transfer his knowledge of the interface and =
class
design to a java developer without either developer having to understand
both languages.

It could potentially save you some time when porting from one platform =
another as you can generate a shell on the new platform
by parsing the DevXML files.  Then you just need to fill in the platform
specific stuff.

So far I have a little group that is reviewing my research and providing
feedback if you or anyone in your group would like to
take part please let me know.  The more feedback the more likely it is =
that
we will be successful.

My research is being posted at =
http://www.clinch.netfirms.com/subpages/projects/devxml/index.htm

If you have any feedback or wish to be updated when this site is updated =
please email me at

chrisw_new@hotmail.com

thanks

chris williams

------=_NextPart_000_0302_01C24390.C75CE220

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffdd>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>XML is just a file =
format used to=20
store information.&nbsp; DevXML is a way of<BR>sharing information about =
an=20
interface and<BR>eventually a class definition amongst many languages =
and=20
platforms.&nbsp; Its<BR>just data.&nbsp; I wrote one utility in vb to =
parse the=20
DevXML<BR>and generate the interface in vb, but you can use the parsers =
that=20
already<BR>exist on different platforms to parse the file and =
generate<BR>the=20
source in whatever language you work with.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This comes in handy if =
you have=20
development teams working on the same<BR>product but for different=20
platforms,<BR>eg c++ or vb on nt and java on linux.&nbsp; You wish for =
the=20
interfaces to be the<BR>same and eventually you would wish to =
share<BR>the same=20
basic logic, the only difference is the parts that are specific =
to<BR>c++ or=20
java.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>This helps resolve =
problems of=20
inconsistant functionality between the<BR>product on one platform vs the =

other.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>It also helps resolve =
the problem of=20
the c++ and java versions having<BR>drastically different =
behavior.&nbsp; That=20
is a developer who is working on the<BR>c++ side can more easily =
transfer his=20
knowledge of the interface and class<BR>design to a java developer =
without=20
either developer having to understand<BR>both languages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>It could potentially =
save you some=20
time when porting from one platform to<BR>another as you can generate a =
shell on=20
the new platform<BR>by parsing the DevXML files.&nbsp; Then you just =
need to=20
fill in the platform<BR>specific stuff.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>So far I have a little =
group that is=20
reviewing my research and providing<BR>feedback if you or anyone in your =
group=20
would like to<BR>take part please let me know.&nbsp; The more feedback =
the more=20
likely it is that<BR>we will be successful.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>My research is being =
posted at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.clinch.netfirms.com/subpages/projects/devxml/index.htm=
">http://www.clinch.netfirms.com/subpages/projects/devxml/index.htm</A></=
FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>If you have any =
feedback or wish to=20
be updated when this site is updated please email me at</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:chrisw_new@hotmail.com">chrisw_new@hotmail.com</A></FONT><=
/DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>chris=20
williams</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0302_01C24390.C75CE220--