[Zope-dev] A Modest Proposal Concerning Monkey Patches

Adrian Hungate adrian@haqa.co.uk
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:39:56 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Jim Penny wrote:

[Snip]

> > It looks as though what is needed is fish-bowl proposal to redesign the way
> > ObjectManager handles and displays rows for specific object types - the
> > requirement being that this be third-party-pluggable (For want of a better
> > term). (No that was not me volunteering - too much on at the moment, sorry).
> >
> > One question about zshell though, what is the box that is added "left of the
> > add product pulldown"? Is it something that ABSOLUTELY has to be on the
> > contents listing (i.e. something to do with creating or maintaining the
> > objects listed?). Could it be backdoor'd into all_meta_types so that it,
> > itself is listed in the pulldown, or could it have a ZMI tab of it's own
> > (Both of these are easier than live patching the DTML)?
> >
> > Adrian...
>
> It needs a place to type a command, that is, it is a free form text box.
> That is, zshell gives zope a CLI.  Historically, you have had to click
> on something to get to the CLI.  If it is made part of the ZMI, then the
> CLI is part of every management window, with no extra work needed to use
> it.
>
> What is needed is to insert a form with a single textbox as element.
>
> This seems to be a hard problem.  Introducing monkeypatches, has, in my
> opinion made it harder, before people would have simply given up.

Hmm, the more you describe this, the less the ObjectManager's contents
view seems quite the right place for it. If the relationship to
the current ObjectManager is required, then what is the problem with a ZMI
tab (Titled "zShell" or "Command Line" or whatever). This could easily be
implimented, would survive upgrades, and (To me at least) would be a more
logical interface.

--
Adrian Hungate
EMail: adrian@haqa.co.uk