[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope Binary Release Changes for Zope 2.6

Roger Oberholtzer roger.oberholtzer@surbrunn.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:53:47 +0200

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:57:14 -0400
"Matthew T. Kromer" <matt@zope.com> wrote:

> Zope is currently released in three binary formats:
>
>     Windows - i386
>
>      Solaris 2.6 - SPARC
>
>      Linux RH 5.2 - i386
>
> All binary releases come with python 2.1.3, built without large file
> support.
>
> We are proposing to change the binary distributions to newer releases,
> at least on the Solaris and Linux platforms.
>
> The new Solaris binary would be Solaris 2.8.
>
> The new Linux binary would be RedHat 7.2 based (i.e. glibc 2.1).

A bit off your question, but related:

As to Linux, what, specifically, are the RedHat specific things? I always take the Linux one and install on Caldera. Never a problem yet. I understand that it may be where you test it and thus the only one you want to claim anything about, but beyond the glibc2.1 thing, what else is so RedHat specific? All the python/Zope stuff is self-contained wherever you install it. It does not use any pre-installed python.

With the change, maybe making it understood that the RPMs probably work on other distros could be good. Maybe a list of ones reported to work may be nice. Just to let users of other distros know that they are not forgotten...

--

Roger Oberholtzer