[Zope-dev] find unused objects: hopefully the last misunderstanding... :o)

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:10:51 +0100

THerp@apriori.de wrote:
> * > I have lots of scripts, dtml methods etc. everywhere which are
> * > perfectly well-known to the ZODB, nothing wrong with that, but which
> * > are simply not used by me anymore. No usage from other scripts nor
> * > methods nor documents. And these buggers I'd like to find.
>
> * There is no easy way to find such things.
>
> * Especially given acquisition, and the dynamic nature of Zope.
>
> Finally we got it :o)
>
> Ok, the reason for me posting this question was the difficult nature.
> So I take your answer as a 'no' to my original question if anyone has
> already written such a script.
>
> Maybe this would be a good thing to accompany future Zope versions.
> There could be a tab which shows all objects which are called
> explicitely by the actual one in a sortable list.
>
> By the way: is this the correct mailing list for such suggestions?
> If not, which one is it?

You forgot to post my suggestions:

You can use Zope Find to get a list of them, and then manually audit
them. You could instrument such methods to output logging, and check the
logs every so often to see what is typically being used.

You could use Zope Find to see if the name of particular methods is used
within other methods.

--
Steve Alexander