[Zope-dev] Re: Zope vs. Cocoon

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
25 Feb 2002 19:51:01 +0000

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 14:07, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Max M wrote:
> > seb bacon wrote:
> >
> >> Architecturally, it is *excellent*, and I'm very excited about it.  I
> >> could wax on for hours, but I won't right now.
> >>

> > I only wish somebody would ... It is hard to figure it out fully by
> > reading only the online documentation.
>
> Do the tutorial:
>
> http://cvs.zope.org/Docs/Docs.tar.gz?tarball=1

But IMO the tutorial doesn't really demonstrate *why* the component
architecture is a Good Thing.  If you're not familiar with the design
patterns used, then I suspect it looks overly verbose and fairly
opaque.  If you are familiar with GoF or suchlike, then you'll drool.

I've got to go home now, but here's my very personal take on why the
Component Architecture is Cool: I'd say its biggest promises are
flexible, maintainable code (no subclassing of BoboFooMixin and
StupidSimpleFace); interoperable Products; and whole new vistas for
administration tools and interfaces.  But that's quite a personal take.