[Zope-dev] Zope 2.6 planning - call for contributors!

Behrens Matt - Grand Rapids Matt.Behrens@Kohler.Com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:03:54 -0500

Brian Lloyd wrote:

 > Let's get a discussion
> started to define 2.6.

This isn't exciting by any means unless you're one of the people who
package Zope up for distribution, or maybe you're one of the people who
manage lots of little Zopes on one system; but I'd like to revive the
"grand unified Zope installation and control" proposal that has been
floated by many people (including me) in one form or another for some
time.  Wikiwise, this would wrap up
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ZopeStartupProvisions and
http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/InstallationAndConfiguration,
at least.

To summarize, this would involve

- an expanded build program with an installation scheme that would allow
multiple versions of Zope to be present on the same system

- making that installation 'secure by default'

- a registry of Zope installations and one of instances and their
configuration settings

- a 'zopectl' program or similar that would be able to start and stop
instances

- a 'zopeinstance' program or similar that would become the
_recommended_ way of setting up Zope, by creating an INSTANCE_HOME

It would be nice if

- the same framework could apply to Zope 3, maybe taking care of that
piece ahead of time

I'm more than willing to head this up, though I question how long we
have before 2.6 to do so.