[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Security Assertions

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha@swing.be
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 14:10:21 +0100

At 18:43 16/01/2002, you wrote:

Sorry about cross-posting but I think the following info is worth reading
for both zope-users and developers.

>Note that up until Zope 2.5.0b4 there is a bug in the way module security
>assertions are handled that makes it impossible to declare more than one
>assertion without overwriting a previous assertion.  It's not really a
>"security hole", it's just annoying and clearly broken.  I'd suggest that
>you complain about this (or do it yourself) if you think a monkeypatch is
>in order for Zope 2.3/2.4.

I went to CVS and read AccessControl.SecurityInfo.py

The code looked simple enough that I would take no risk by including it
even if my understanding of the inner-working of Zope is still elementary.

The following patch works to correct the problem for Zope 2.3.3. It does
not seem to cause any other problem.

# patch taken from Zope 2.5
from string import rfind  # 1.5.2 syntax

def ModuleSecurityInfo(module_name=None):
     if module_name is not None:
         modsec = _moduleSecurity.get(module_name, None)
         if modsec is not None:
             return modsec
         dot = rfind(module_name, '.') # 1.5.2 syntax
         if dot > 0:
             # If the module is in a package, recursively make sure
             # there are security declarations for the package steps
             # leading to the module
             modname = module_name[dot + 1:]
             pmodsec = ModuleSecurityInfo(module_name[:dot])
             if not pmodsec.names.has_key(modname):
                 pmodsec.declarePublic(modname)
     return _ModuleSecurityInfo(module_name)

class _ModuleSecurityInfo(SecurityInfo):
     """Encapsulate security information for modules."""

in place of

class ModuleSecurityInfo(SecurityInfo):
     """Encapsulate security information for modules."""

I do not know what you mean by a 'monkeypatch' but it is certainly worth it
to add the patch to 2.3.x and 2.4.x branches.

Godefroid Chapelle

BubbleNet sprl
rue Victor Horta, 18 / 202
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve