[Zope-dev] Re: Python 2.1.2 does not fix the signal 11 crashing problem !!!!!!!!!!!

Matthew T. Kromer matt@zope.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:17:23 -0500

Harald Koschinski wrote:

>>>Hallo,
>>>
>>>after switching to python 2.1.2 compiled with GC
>>> (intranet:/usr/local/src/Python-2.1.2 # ./configure --without-pymalloc)
>>>the crashes are back again :-(((((((((((((((((((((((
>>>

>>Which version of Zope?
>>
> 2.4.3
>
>>Does it have the RestrictedCompiler fix?
>>
> Good question - next question please :-(((
>
> I am again a little bit confused - I thought that the problem is only
> in the GC module of Python because zope is running without any crashes
> when I disable GC.
>

>>As far as I am aware, Zope 2.4 includes it's own version of the
>>Compiler code, and the current release of 2.4 still has the stacksize
>>bug.
>>
>>Anthony
>>

> Matthew: Can you give the final answer ???

2.4.4 (which should be mostly the equivalent of the Zope-2_4-branch in
our CVS) hasn't been extensively tested.  There are a LOT of things that
I'm aware of that _can_ cause crashes, ie in MySQL when the database
object switches threads, it can get unhappy (I think something in MySQL
may have thread-local state).

Unfortunately, I can't speculate on exactly WHICH problem is causing the
seg faults, because they don't occur in-house (except for the one
compiler bug which we were able to reproduce.)

I am notionally toying with the idea of spending some evening hours
attempting to come up with some kind of Linux-enabled crash capturing
package, but this is not necessarily going to be trivial, and I dont
know exactly how I want it to work.  (Ie the proper way is to be able to
validate all pointers etc, from the stack frame trace on a sig 11 signal
handler etc.. but that may require some assembly glue).