[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] i18n for CMF And Plone, backporting i18n to Zope 2.x

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com.br
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:07:33 -0300

Well, i didnt told there was i18n support there ;)

Basically, Alt-TAL is a rewrite of TAL to allow one to expand TAL by providing
plugins. This means that if you want to provide i18n for Alt-TAL you just
need to write an i18n plugin and register it as a handler for i18n:something.
The the current TAL implementation is very obscure, and Shane agrees with us
that it could be highly improved with no much effort.

At a first glance, you can see that this implementation is much clear, and
pluggable, and the current TAL needs too much hacking to extend support for
new tags, and has too much dependencies on Zope right now, as someone pointed
out.

Im forwarding this thread to zope-dev so we can disscuss this there.

I hope Lalo can get online soon and explain his ideas, as i havent
participated on this rewrite at all.

Jim also said that I should talk with Fred Drake, as he is the guy at
PythonLabs that is in charge of TAL, so im forwarding this to him too.

[]'s

--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

All the existing 2.0.x kernels are to buggy for 2.1.x to be the
main goal.
	-- Alan Cox