[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope-CMF] i18n for CMF And Plone, backporting i18n to Zope 2.x

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 13:35:29 -0400

    SdS> Well, i didnt told there was i18n support there ;)

Oh! :)

    SdS> Basically, Alt-TAL is a rewrite of TAL to allow one to expand
    SdS> TAL by providing plugins. This means that if you want to
    SdS> provide i18n for Alt-TAL you just need to write an i18n
    SdS> plugin and register it as a handler for i18n:something.  The
    SdS> the current TAL implementation is very obscure, and Shane
    SdS> agrees with us that it could be highly improved with no much
    SdS> effort.

    SdS> At a first glance, you can see that this implementation is
    SdS> much clear, and pluggable, and the current TAL needs too much
    SdS> hacking to extend support for new tags, and has too much
    SdS> dependencies on Zope right now, as someone pointed out.

I don't know about the "not much effort" part, but in theory, this is
something I'd support.  We talked about doing this for the Zope3 i18n
effort, but the primary reason we didn't was due to performance
concerns.  After talking with Fred, I came to understand that much of
the code's current obscurity is due to optimizations to make TAL
perform at least as fast as DTML.

So while I'd love to have the code be cleaner and more pluggable, we
have to decide 1) if we're willing to give up some performance to
acheive this, and 2) if not, can you provide a design and
implementation that will "perform adequately"?

-Barry