[Zope-dev] Changes to ZCatalog

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
13 Jun 2002 10:02:04 -0400

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 02:43, Max M wrote:
> Casey Duncan wrote:
>
> >I made several changes yesterday to ZCatalog that may be of interest to
> >you if you have a product that subclasses or embeds ZCatalogs/Catalogs.
> >
> ><snip>
> >

> Hmm ... I have subscribed to zope-dev for the longest time now, and as
> far as I remember this is the first time I have seen a simple and
> concise explanation of a change taking place.

Thanks, I will try to do more of these messages as I make/see changes
like this in the trunk.

> I wonder where this information usually is dissiminated. I would imagine
> that zope-dev should be filled with information like this, but it very
> rarely is.

I think it should be. I think very few people read the checkin messages,
and they seldom contain "big picture" narrative anyhow.

I think messages here should be sent when there are big picture impacts.
It can act like informal historical documentation.

> Is information about Zope development only discussed orally at zope.com,
> or is attached as comments in the cvs, or where do you guys keep each
> other up to date about changes taking place?

We have weekly "jam sessions" where we often hash out new ideas.
Certainly the CVS is commented, but it is at quite a low level. I think
we (ZC'ers) all know we can do a better job desseminating our ideas to
the community. It really a question of bandwidth (or lack thereof).

On the bright side, your message has inspired me to be a bit more of a
"narrator". It's always glad to hear when people actually read something
I write and get something out of it.

> regards Max M
>
> --
>
> "Sorry I would Really Like To Help More On This Project,
> But Am To Busy Doing Paid Work On A Tight Deadline"
>     Max M

Ain't it the truth ;^)

-Casey