[Zope-dev] problems with accented characters - need advice

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:46:10 +0200

Toby Dickenson writes:
 > > The reason why it is still there is that a change should work for
 > > all languages and not only western ones. This poses the question
 > > how the byte string representing the id your should be URL quoted.
 >
 > There is an RFC, I forget which one, which specifies utf8.
I have seen it in the HTML 4 specification. But, I am unsure
whether it is already implemented by browsers.

It would answer the question about the destination encoding.
We must also define the source encoding (i.e. that of the byte string
representing the id).
This could be UTF-8, Python's default encoding or determined by
an environment variable.

Dieter