[Zope-dev] improved logging

Frank Tegtmeyer fte@lightwerk.com
01 Mar 2002 16:27:18 +0100

Romain Slootmaekers <romain@zzict.com> writes:

> > Handling the log output should be _completely_ separated from
> > Zope.
> what do you mean exactly by '_completely_ separated'
>
> do you mean asynchronous handling ?

Completely separated means that it isn't Zope's job to care for rotating
logs, filtering them and what else you could do to logs. There are
lots of programs out there that are specialized in handling log data.

We for example use a setup with the multilog program from Dan
Bernsteins multilog package (see
http://www.lightwerk.com/zope/logging) which separates the function
from Zope.

The motivation for separating log handling from Zope:

- smaller code base (a little :)
- don't reinvent the wheel - handling logs is done by other programs
  well enough
- separation of functions improves security and stability

So there must be (and are) ways to generate useful log output. But
handling the generated output is really not the job of the Zope
server itself.

Regards, Frank