[Zope-dev] Zope 2.6 project updated

Craeg K. Strong cstrong@arielpartners.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:25:39 -0500

Stephan Richter wrote:

>> I am afraid I must second this opinion.  We recently looked at
>> OrderedFolder, thinking to subclass it
>> to produce our Slideshow product.   The idea was to make a
>> lightweight web-based replacement for PowerPoint
>> where you can define the order of the slides and can hide/show them
>> individually.
>
> Actually, there SmartWizard (of course built with OF), whcih can be
> used for Slideshows. I used it for all my talks last year.

For some reason we missed that one :-(     Of course, we also wanted
functionality like selectively hiding slides
(that way you can have lots of slides in a standard slideshow and choose
subsets for a particular presentation).
Still, the Products _are_ quite similar.

We might be able to collaborate, but I suspect the Zope-2 architectural
limitations will make it pretty difficult.
For example, we have three products that are related by inheritance, and
even though _we_ wrote all of them,
it was interesting how much extra work it was to make them extensible in
this way.   With the Zope-3 architecture
it would be _much_ easier.

>> We found that it was actually easier to create our own
>> "OrderedFolder" base class and subclass it rather than
>> use OF because of the extra functionality we did not want.
>
> Really? You should just have used OrderedObjectManager as base class.

Are you referring to the latest (0.4 IIRC) release?  We did our work
before that came out...

>> I am willing to help out.   I would love to see this functionality in
>> 2.6 and carry it forward to 3.0...
>
> Ordering and the Limit code is already in the Zope 3 core. The
> advanced Folder version there is know as LoadedFolder.

Excellent!   I think Zope-3 anticipation is building to a fever
pitch.... ;-)

--Craeg