[Zope-dev] WebDAV locks disappearing...

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:32:47 -0700

A WebDAV client may request a timeout length for a lock, but it's basically
just a suggestion.  You say you investigated again "some time later".
Zope's default timeout is thirty minutes.  Clients can ask for longer ones
and Zope will obey, but the 30 minutes is granted for 'infinite' timeout
requests (the spec says that the server may decide the timeout time
independent of the clients request).  The timeout should get refreshed with
every HTTP request made by you (the lock owner).  But the timeout also
exists so that the problem of "Person X locks a document for editing, and
then leaves in a hurry (forgetting to release his lock).  Person Y really
needs to edit the document, but it's held hostage by X's lock".

Cadaver may be caching the locks.  Since HTTP/WebDAV are stateless, you have
to refresh your listing in order to see if locks are still there.  Most GUI
based WebDAV clients have a "refresh listing" option, which is the only way
they can know of new members in a collection and new lock states.

--
Jeffrey P Shell
www.cuemedia.com