[Zope-dev] more on the segfault saga

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:04:55 -0500

Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:
> Well, I have the energy, I just don't know where to start. But it's
> beginning to look like I'll just have to roll up my sleeves and dive in
> C code to hunt this beast down. And to think that I'd chosen Python as
> my official programming language to avoid just that... :-)

I just found out about something that might help.  If you compiled
against the GNU C library, you can set the environment variable
MALLOC_CHECK_ to 1 to get malloc usage warnings printed to stderr, or
set it to 2 to cause an abort() as soon as an error is detected.
Assuming you're running in production, I'd start with 1 (making sure
stderr is connected to something), then if any warnings occur but they
aren't informative enough, switch to 2.

I learned this here:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/glibc-2.2.3/html_node/libc_32.html

Shane