[Zope-dev] Umask? On Windows 98? Ha!

Lennart Regebro lennart@torped.se
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:42:04 +0100

I get this message when starting Zope 2.5.1b1 on Windows 98:

2002-03-18T19:32:15 INFO(0) z2 Your umask of 000 may be too permissive; for
the
security of your Zope data, it is recommended you use 077

That's rather silly on Windows 98. :-)

A couple of questions:
- Should that really be 077? That means that the owner can't read the files,
but that "other" can! How can that be less permissive? 770 would make sense
to me. I usually run z2.py with -u zope, and have zope own the files, and
letting nobody else do scrap with them, 700, in other words. WHy would 077
be better?

- Is it silly to check for Windows? What happens on Windows NT, does that
emulate umask somehow, or do you get 000 there too?