[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Having to keep typing "./start &"

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:59:59 +0000

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> From: "Douglas Carnall" <dougie@carnall.org>
>
>>If I am right, then this is an FAQ. Each time I answer it, I plaintively
>>wonder aloud why the -D flag would be the default, but I am generally
>>ignored.
>

> One reason is that without it, the server prints out nothing at all at
> startup, which is confusing to new users. To solve this two things need to
> be changed:
>
> 1. There need to be a possibility to set the error severity just like with
> stupid_log_file, even for printouts to stdoutput. Maybe the stupid_log_file
> could be made to be the standard way of logging, and it could log to stdout
> if no stupid_log_file was set?
>
> 2. The default level for stupid_log_file should be to print INFO and higher
> messages. Today the default is only to print PROBLEM and higher.

Or, add a new "zope is started" message that is logged at a severity
IMPORTANT_MESSAGE, which is at the same level as a PROBLEM.

That should be very simple to implement.

--
Steve Alexander