[Zope-dev] DB.py: pool_size

Jens Vagelpohl jens@zope.com
Sat, 4 May 2002 10:25:48 -0400

there is a common misconception that the number of threads and the
pool_size defined in ZODB/DB.py are the same. they are not.

number of threads is just that: the maximum number of threads the zope
process will spawn (excluding "extra" threads, such as those used for
zDaemon).

the pool_size in ZODB/DB.py sets the number of ZODB database connections
that are used by the application to interact with the ZODB. increasing the
number of threads alone does not make much sense because no work can be
done if a thread does not have a database connection out of the pool.

you might try to carefully and slowly increase both numbers *in a sandbox,
  not on your live site* and test to see if it helps.

jens