[Zope-dev] Best practice for Zope-private copy of Python 2.1 on Linux?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Mon, 6 May 2002 15:44:18 -0400

With the RH7.3 release today, the default Python2 installation is that
much more likely to be Python 2.2 (it's the base package in RH7.3),
instead of Python 2.1.

Rather than ask the FAQ of why and what parts of Zope can't handle
Python 2.2, I'll ask if there is, or suggest if there isn't, a shift due
in the installation procedures on Linux to optionally use a private copy
of Python 2.1, much like the Windows version of Zope does. That version
allows me to use Python 2.2 without any interference. I'd prefer that
the file layout matched WinZope as closely as possible. In this case,
I'm willing to give up some disk space to have a sandbox that Zope can
run in with its configuration uninterrupted.

FWIW, I'd like to see an expanded tarball of Zope available that builds
the whole thing, including its own Python and the most common
c-extensions, in a unified makefile. Maybe that would get the
possibility of RPM releases back on track, too.

Can anyone suggest a best practice to get Zope 2.5.1 on Linux running
with a private Python2.1, keeping the new Python releases separate from
the one Zope will use?