[Zope-dev] Re: ZClasses not useful!

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 08 May 2002 09:27:16 +0100

Adrian Hungate wrote:

> Maybe a little Perl psychology might help us here, i.e. "There is more than
> one way to do it" -

And you know what I see as one of Perl's worst features? ;-)

> ZClasses are one of the two things that bring Zope up to and above the level
> of the competition (In this case Coldfusion)

I would strongly disagree. The biggest problem people get into is when they run out of
steam with ZClasses and have nowhere to go without rewriting all their code. Not to
mention the fact that theyr'e buggy, non-intuitive and not supported anymore.

> IMHO - TTW coding, including
> writing products TTW, and DTML which is far more powerful and focused than
> the competitions offering.
>
> I think that blindly disposing of both, just because a newer idea has come
> along is just that - blind. So what if ZPT is more (choose your comparison
> here) than DTML? DTML is far easier to learn, far easier to read, far easier
> to write, and much much easier to explain to newbies.

DTML is not faster to learn. It is certainly not easier to read. It is much more difficult
to write if you want behaviour to be deterministic and is much harder to explain what has
happened when things go wrong, especially to newbies.

> products, but even that does not earn ZClasses a death warant (IMHO) - Have
> you never needed a quick fix product that needs writing in a few minutes and
> in a week will no longer be needed? I know I have - Many MANY times!

Yeah, and I find Python Products a helluva lot quicker to write than ZClasses... For other
stuff, I use lightweight types a la CMF's Types Tool.

cheers,

Chris - why make other people suffer?