[Zope-dev] Using Zope from a console script

Gilles Lenfant gilles@pilotsystems.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:31:02 +0100

> > Leonardo,
> >
> > Thanks for that fast answer.
> >
> > But it's buggy for me (Zope 2.5.1/Python 2.1.3/FreeBSD) :
> >
> > bash-2.05a$ python ZServer/medusa/monitor_client.py localhost 8099
> > /usr/local/lib/python2.1/regsub.py:15: DeprecationWarning: the regsub
module
> > is deprecated; please use re.sub()
> >   DeprecationWarning)
> > Enter Password:
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "ZServer/medusa/monitor_client.py", line 114, in ?
> >     stdin = stdin_channel (0)
> >   File "/usr/src/Zope-2.5.1-src/ZServer/medusa/asyncore.py", line 551,
in
> > __init__
> >     flags = fcntl.fcntl (fd, fcntl.F_GETFL, 0)
> > AttributeError: 'fcntl' module has no attribute 'F_GETFL'
> >
> > Do you think I should record this in the collector or did I miss
something ?

> It's probably not your fault. Not many people use the monitor port, and
> it's possible it's been broken by recent zope versions. By the looks of
> the error message, it doesn't look like it should be difficult to fix. A
> Collector issue might be in order.

I'm not a fcntl guru bu I didn't see any "fcntl.F_GETFL" in the doc of
Python 2.1.3. Probably a really deprecated stuff. But I'm not capable of
fixing this correctly by myself.
It will go to the Collector tomorrow (if not already recorded)

> > > You can also use ZEO and do your debugging in a separate Zope (ZEO
> > > Client) instance.
> > > http://www.zope.org/Products/ZEO
> >
> > But just want to run a console application, not running it from another
Zope
> > instance.
>
> A Zope instance that is a ZEO client sees the same objects as other Zope
> instances. For all intents and purposes, it is as if you're talking to a
> single Zope instance. Since you described that you could use Zope from
> python console if you didn't start it, using a ZEO instance the same way
> looks like it's exactly what you need. You might not understand what I'm
> talking about until you try and install ZEO for yourself
>
> Cheers, Leo

The fact is that my script works when Zope server is down and crashes when
it is up (Data.fs doesn't seem to be usable concurrently by two different
processes)
I didn't get exactly what's ZEO. I'm gonna dive into this.

Many thanks again

--Gilles