[Zope-dev] HTTP content negotiation-- has anyone tried this in Zope?

Craeg Strong cstrong@arielpartners.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:14:11 -0800

Hello:

I try to keep tabs on other open source CMSs, in particular Apache Cocoon, and
I noticed this message:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=103717736917834&w=2

talking about software that, in effect, enables one to configure a server to respond
the HTTP headers having to do with content negotiation: preferred charset, preferred
language, and content-type.

This is way cool stuff-- imagine an application capable of returning an XML
representation
of a resource instead of a human-readable XHTML simply based on the HTTP
header-- same URL.

ASIDE: This is in line with TBL's original vision of the web and
is being adopted by high profile organizations like google-- it has supported
Accept-Language
for at least a year-- change the list of acceptable languages to demonstrate it in a
browser...

Question: has anyone tried to support this kind of thing using Zope yet?  I imagine
it should be possible, b/c you should have access to everything you need in the
REQUEST object, right?

If one agrees that this is a good idea, then wouldn't it be cool to have a set of
ready-made components in Zope3 to facilitate switching on relevant HTTP
headers-- either for mime type, I18N, etc.?

Thoughts?

--Craeg