[Zope-dev] Integrating ZEO with Zope 2.7

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:27:39 -0400

> IMHO, Zope releases should, in this scenario, be configured by default to
> use a custom_zodb.py file with ClientStorage over a socket at startup,
> making the default config of Zope one that uses ZEO.  Also, start scripts
> should be distributed with options to support both the following:
> 	- Zope's start script Start ZEO via ZEO's start.py,
> 	  wait for confirmation of loaded storages,
> 	  then start Zope's z2.py
> 	- Separate shell scripts to start each
>
> The advantage to this is the ability get access to the ZODB in automation
> and sysadmin scripts without taking Zope down.  This should be transparent
> to those who don't care, unless there is a huge performance difference
> between directly using FileStorage, and using ClientStorage on a local
> socket to the same end (is the protocol overhead really that much?)...

I'm not sure that such a drastic change can be done without breaking
expectations set by previous Zope releases.  But I'll let the Powers
That Be decide on this -- I'm not touching the default configuration.