[Zope-dev] ZEO cache instrumentation -- any takers?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 08:18:38 -0400

> As much as I try to avoid them (especially in Zope code), they are
> sometimes necessary because you simply don't know what exceptions
> might be raised from inside Python or the standard libs.

Sure.  But the point is that *historically* Zope code (and lots of
other Python code!) has contained a lot of places where "except:" was
used when the author knew exactly which exceptions he was expecting.
To make it worse when this is sometimes done for a large stretch of
code, even though there are only a few specific spots where the
exception is expected.