[Zope-dev] 2.6.1 Plan?

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:58:32 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Chris Withers wrote:
> The flurry to get features into a 'stable' release is what I was on about.
> If you flurry, the release won't be stable.
>
> I like the pattern of having stable releases and CVS or nightly builds for
> people who want the latest and greatest. That way everyone gets to contribute
> easily and freely and yet we still get truly stable versions.

That's how FreeBSD tries to handle it (except that you do your
own nightly builds if you want that).  But every time, just before freature
freeze time, there is a flurry of commits.   Once feature freeze happens,
however, there are only bug fixes.

Likewise, with Zope my impression is that once the Beta is cut, we are in
feature freeze.  Now, ZC may not have operated that way in the past *entirely*,
but I think we should from now on.

A flurry of commits *before* feature freeze seems unaviodable, however.
That's what deadlines are for, after all <grin>.

--RDM