[Zope-dev] Streaming Response

Oliver Bleutgen myzope@gmx.net
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:58:30 +0200

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> Deactivating *every* block looks like a bad idea. This defeats the in-memory
> cache that will be a big win for small files.
>
> The memory cache is only a disadvange if your files are large enough that they
> have enough chunks to disrupt LRU cache policy. How about comparing the
> number of chunks to a fraction of the cache target size?
>
> (sorry, no patch today. Ive a large email backlog to clear)

Just something which came to my mind when reading about cache policies:

With the advent of more and more alternative storages esp. adaptable
storage and directory storage, maybe the interaction with other caches
should be taken into account.
For instance, does it make sense for zope to cache a file in memory when
it's also cached in the kernel VFS, which it likely could be when some
FS based storage is used? How can the choice of the backend storage
affect caching policies inside zope?
For the "frontend" caches policies, zope is quite configurable thanks to
the various cache managers etc., maybe it's also worth thinking about
making such cache policies for the "backend" more configurable.

cheers,
oliver