[Zope-dev] RFC: RelationAware class for relations between obj ects

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:32:25 -0700

My observations from a digital-media management perspective lead me to
believe that relationships and other metadata are closely intertwined, and
that there needs to be a way to righcly express metatdata about
relationships.

One the subject of simplicity vs. features - it should be said that one
thing that high-level applications would likely need to bolt on top of these
relationships is metadata about those relationships.  In the keep-it-simple
model the descriptor names (Python identifiers, ie self.developers
referencing a relation object) serve as an id for one half of the
relationship, but how does one attach to following to that half of the
relationship:

	- relationship type/model (same as DCMES relation qualifiers)
	- relationship label/plain-text-title
	- content type or class of related object
	- id/reference or path to content
	- potentially some other data?

Examples (warning: long post):
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2002-October/015801.html

In a keep-it-simple model, where does this high-level stuff belong?  In a
global service?

Sean