[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] CacheManager missing in 2.6.2b4 :-(

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Fri Aug 8 07:32:05 EDT 2003

Jamie Heilman wrote:

> 2.2 because 2.1 lacks ruthless efficiency.

That, on its own, is not a very helpful statement ;-)
What are the differences between 2.1 and 2.2 that you care about?

> The stock OFS/Cache.py is
> insecure, and lacking features I want, thus, I rewrote it and included
> patches to adapt the existing managers to the improved API.  There is
> no third thing.

Have you got a collector issue / Fishbowl proposal anywhere that is
looking to get this accepted? What reasons could people have for not
liking this new Cache.py?

> Yes and no.  Its issue 911.  "Working on it" would require:
> $ cd your-zope-cvs-head
> $ w3m -dump http://audible.transient.net/zope/Cache.py > lib/python/OFS/Cache.py
> $ w3m -dump http://audible.transient.net/zope/cmassoc.diff | patch -p0
> $ w3m -dump http://audible.transient.net/zope/cachemanagers.diff | patch -p0

Well, I'm not confident that I understand the relevent code to do this
and then do a CVS commit ;-) I wonder who is?

> $ # screw with the headers to lib/python/OFS/Cache.py to replace \
>     ZopeCorp's eyesore of a copyright preamble

With what? This kind of comment is a bit inflamatory and not at all
helpful :-(

> But none of that will fix that RAM Cache Manager's waste memory.

Indeed, but I wouldn't call it waste memory...

> Again, its just a choice that was made in RCM's design, less
> processing overhead w/the potential for more memory usage.

...it's just a design choice.

cheers,

Chris