[Zope-dev] Re: Heads up: about to merge new-style ExtensionClass and ZODB 3.3 into Zope 2 head

Yuppie schubbe at web.de
Mon Dec 1 06:37:36 EST 2003

Hi Jim!

Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I tested CMF with Zope HEAD.
>> 1.) "from ZODB import Persistent, PersistentMapping" doesn't work anymore
>> 2.) assignment to class dictionaries doesn't work anymore

These two are now fixed in CMF HEAD. So whoever wants to have a look at
the other issues: Tests and Zope are running again with CMF installed.

>> 3.) 'rebinding by assignment' doesn't work anymore
[...]
> This is consistent with standard Python behavior:
[...]
> So I'm inclined to consider the new behavior correct.

Correct or not: This is a backwards compatibility issue.

I also found this one:
http://localhost:8080/Control_Panel/Database/main/manage_main
unbound method db_name() must be called with ApplicationManager instance
as first argument (got nothing instead)

You already didn't switch to the new mro to make migration easier. If it
is possible to give newstyle ExtensionClasses the old rebinding behavior
I'd vote for that.

If not, people need some advice how to update their products:
- How do I find code depending on the old behavior?
- How do I fix that code? (I know I can copy 'n' paste the code I want
to reuse from other classes, but is there a better way to reuse code
without subclassing?)

>> 4.) some objects publishable in Zope 2.7 aren't publishable anymore
>

> Can you give any specifics?

Zope Core:
http://localhost:8080/temp_folder
http://localhost:8080/Control_Panel/DavLocks

CMF:
http://localhost:8080/myCMFSite/portal_skins/zpt_generic
http://localhost:8080/myCMFSite/portal_workflow/default_workflow

>> No big deal to add docstrings, but what's the policy change?
>

> For better or worse, it has always been policy not to publish objects
> without non-empty doc strings.

That's what I thought. But it seems like Zope 2.7 doesn't catch them all.

Cheers,
	Yuppie