[Zope-dev] Newbie Question

Aaron Paxson apaxson at ncegifts.com
Sun Dec 7 09:59:06 EST 2003

I hope I'm posting to the right mailing list.  There were so many to decide
from.

I've just been introduced to Zope, and am curious on how it will fit into my
company's plans.

I'm currently learning Java, and was starting to learn the RedHat Web
Application Framework.  I've found Zope in an article on the web, and
started to look into it.  It looks to be just as scalable, but I'm curious
on how extensible it is, as well as, it's power in a corporate environment.

For example, how extensible is it, to modify the security module and have it
authenticate against LDAP?  (I don't want all my users to remember yet
another password) Also, how powerful is Python as compared to Java?  Since
it uses a native compiler, it stands to reason that it would be faster than
Java, but what of it's objects and packages?  (i.e. Does it have an image
manipulation package, or networking packages?)

I must say, seeing the documentation and books alone, tells me the product
is good, and something I can learn.  I see alot of "Hope for Zope" <grin,
couldn't resist>, but I don't want to get into it, just to see if it doesn't
fit into my plans.

For those who want a couple of examples, I have 3 projects for our
intranet/extranet/internet applications:

1).  Images and cataloging (where, our development team can upload their
images, and the intranet application will take that image and export it to a
JPG to update the web catalog, and move the original file to our FTP site
for our photographers.

2).  Document Management (Uploading of files, and inputting data to index on
those files for searching)

3).  Obviously the usual (Content Management and Portals) which I'm sure
Zope does a good job at.

Thanks in advance!!  Again, my apologies if there is a better list for this
post.

Aaron Paxson
Network Operations Manager
Decorative Concepts, Inc