[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] ZConfig: Keytype and section type extension

Barry Warsaw barry at zope.com
Mon Dec 29 13:57:52 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 12:52, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Changing the keytype allows different interpretations for keys.  The
> only thing required of keys at the lowest level of the parser is that
> keys do not contain spaces.  The "basic-key" datatype is used to
> create a case-insensitive handling to keys.  Setting keytype to
> "identifier" would require that all keys in sections of that type be
> Python identifiers, and would be case-sensitive.  Another keytype
> might allow email addresses to be used as keys:

Ah, that does sound useful!

What I think the documentation needs is a kind of
overview-slash-motivation-slash-real-life-examples.  I'd start with an
example configuration file, explain why it was designed that way, then
work backwards to the schema and any components being used.  That's how
I tend to work anyway -- I think about what it is I want my end-users to
be able to configure, i.e. I design the user interface for the .conf
file first, then I figure out what the schema and component schemas I
need to support that.

-Barry