[Zope-dev] [Zope] Header information on file upload

Martin Gebert Murphy@members.netsolution-net.de
Sat, 01 Feb 2003 13:06:21 +0100

Hi!

I already asked this question on the main Zope list, but there was no answer so far; so I hope I find the right audience here...

In my HowTo about dealing with BLOBs
<http://www.zope.org/Members/murphy/MySQL-BLOBs> I use a rather
unelegant but working method to get the content type of an uploaded
file. Stefan Tjarks has now drawn my attention to the Header attributes
of the uploaded form data, namely the "Content-Type" attribute which
seems to reveal the MIME type (photo.headers['Content-Type'] for the
given exsample).
My sorrow is now that this information isn't 100 % reliable, 'cause the
Zope core (esp. the Image and File classes) doesn't seem to use this
possibility either, but implements it's own methods which I use in the
HowTo, too. The responsible class ZPublisher.HTTPRequest.FileUpload
seems only to reach through the header information from the browser.
Also I've learned through SelfHTML that the MIME type support of
browsers has holes sometimes, as described for the accept attribute of
the <form> tag.
Does anybody have further information on that issue, and why
headers['Content-Type'] isn't used by Zope (it is, in fact, but in
ZPublisher for seemingly other purposes)?

Martin