[Zope-dev] Zope Server Control

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:36:15 -0800

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the reasons why this solves the consolidation
> problem (i.e. I have 2 dozen ZEO clients and 2 ZSSs and want to manage them
> remotely in a single interface).  Please explain.

mix 1 part ssh, add shell script to taste

It would be trivial, for example, to set up a shell script which
itterated through your client hosts running 'ssh $host svc -t /service/zope'
sending SIGTERM to the processes to restart them, or
substitute svstat, svok, etc. for different results.  Tie commands to
ssh keys for added security.

It would be safer (wouldn't require super-user privs) though to poll
status using an apache-style server-status handler.  The downside to
that is that if zope is wedged or down you must rely on a timeout as
an indicator (though there's nothing horribly wrong with that, its
just not very precise).  One of my plans for a side projects is adding
more logging to zope so that I can cull server status information from
my logs, which may to some extent, provide finer granularity with less
overhead.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"...thats the metaphorical equivalent of flopping your wedding tackle