[Zope-dev] Python core dump zope 2.6.1+CMF1.3

Barry Pederson barryp@medicine.nodak.edu
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:25:38 -0600

R. David Murray wrote:
> I haven't touched Z2 in a while.  But I need a Plone site (I think).
> So I downloaded 2.6.1, CMF1.3, and Plone 1.0.  Installed all on
> FreeBSD 4.7.  Created a plone portal.  Going to the plone site URL
> causes a python core dump.  Created a plain CMF site.  Going to the
> site URL causes a python core dump.  Going to the /manage version
> of the same URL works fine, by the way.
>
> Others have seen this, so it should be easy for Concerned Parties
> to reproduce this.  I have to run off to a meeting so I can't do
> any more deubgging on this tonight.  NB: python 2.2.2 also core
> dumps under the same scenario.

Sounds like you need the THREAD_STACKS_SIZE patch for FreeBSD's Python 2.1

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=305470&aid=554841&group_id=5470

There's a download link near the bottom of the page.

Basically put that patch in your /usr/ports/lang/python2.1/files directory,
then re-build the Python 2.1 port with "-DTHREAD_STACK_SIZE=0x20000"
specified as an argument to the make command.

If you've cvsup-ed your ports tree lately, there may already be a patch in
place in that same directory named "patch-Python-thread_pthread.h-stacksize"
that looks like it does basically the same thing.

However I haven't tried it, I built my Python 2.1 + Zope 2.6.0 + Plone setup
before that was added to the port. The first patch from sourceforge did the
trick for curing crashes in my case, so I'd guess that an updated port and a
re-built Python 2.1 might be the ticket in your case.

	Barry