[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] PCGI?

Lennart Regebro lennart@regebro.nu
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:52:53 +0100

Jeff Rush wrote:
> I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that mod_proxy was hard to
> configure correctly to pass all headers, particularly in complex virtual
> hosting scenarios.

No, that's when it's easy. :)
The onlyhard part is getting the original IP adress into the logs, and
most people simply ignore this and use Apaches logs instead.

 > It also exposed the port 8000-based
> Zope to direct access, which some admin's might not want.

Not necessarily. Often you set up 8000-ports to only be accessible on an
internal IP-adress. Besides, it's usually a good idea to be able to go
directly when Apache gets weird. :)

> But mostly I thought PCGI (and FastCGI) was the preferred way, since it
> is covered in detail in Zope's doc/WEBSERVER.TXT and neither mod_proxy
> nor mod_redirect are mentioned in there. ;-)

Well, that's just Zopes normal standard of documentation, aint it. :)

I happily submit my Zope+Apache how-to for scrutiny by experts to be
included (and hopefully even expanded) in the docs instead of the CGI
docs if PCGI is removed from the standard distribution. :)